[vc_row][vc_column width=”1/1″][vc_column_text]A common question we get from clients at Cloud for Good is how do I integrate my MailChimp account with Salesforce? MailChimp is one of the most popular Email Service Providers (ESP) on the market for large business, small businesses, and nonprofits. Many nonprofits use MailChimp to manage their email communications to their constituents and for good reason, as MailChimp is relatively inexpensive, easy to use, and is a leader in its market.
Fortunately for you, there are quite a few resources out there to bring your MailChimp data into Salesforce. However, it is critical that you do your homework as each solution provides advantages and disadvantages. This will prevent you from selecting, deploying, and possibly paying for a solution that doesn’t meet your team’s needs. An inadequate solutions can cause end user frustration and decrease the adoption of Salesforce within your organization.
To assist you as you do your MailChimp to Salesforce homework, we will review some of the connectors we’ve deployed at Cloud for Good. Provided you will find the App Exchange listing, the cost, as well as some advantages and disadvantages to consider when selecting your desired tool. As with everything involving Salesforce, the ecosystem is constantly evolving. That being said- if an App listed here has added functionality or if you know of other tools, chime in and let folks know in the comments section below.
MailChimp for Salesforce
- Did I mention that this application is FREE! Real time data sync- keeps subscriber data in sync in both applications.
- Can create simple segments using queries from within the MailChimp Application within Salesforce.
- The MailChimp for Salesforce app fills out the “Bounced Reason” on the contact record.
- Multiple Salesforce users can be given access to the MailChimp for Salesforce app and there is no licensing limits for providing access.
- The application doesn’t write any data into your standard or custom Salesforce objects (except bounced reason), instead it uses a VisualForce Page on the contact to indicate that contact’s MailChimp details like opens, clicks, and the lists they are subscripted to.
- Using the application in Salesforce, you can query your Salesforce data to add your contacts or leads to your Lists in MailChimp.
- Limited in what records you can query- right now it just supports contacts and leads. In addition the query criteria is very basic and doesn’t support conditional logic.
- Will not update campaign member statuses.
- Since it is a free product, little to no support is offered.
Cazoomi Marketing Package
Cost: $25 per month for Pro, $50 per month for Enterprise
- Customizable settings for how a new subscriber is created in your instance for example you can decide if the subscriber creates a contact or lead. In addition you can determine the matching rules Cazoomi will use when trying to find a contact match within your org.
- Easy to install/configure with step by step documentation and help widgets through their portal when configuring.
- Can sync to specific Campaign Record Type (if needed).
- Pro syncs every 6 hours, however you can manually sync within their portal whenever you want and results are updated in your Salesforce instance in real time.
- If contact/lead Email Opt Out (HasOptedOutOfEmail) is checked in Salesforce.com then the email address will be unsubscribed from MailChimp. (this is an optional feature).
- Possible to check “Do not sync unsubscribed status to Salesforce.com” and just map the fields in SyncApps for custom salesforce fields such as “Newsletter Opt Out and Annual Report Opt Out” which would allow you to segment these in MailChimp appropriately.
- Bi-Directional Sync.
- You can expand your use of SyncApps to other applications you want to sync with Salesforce- you are limited to 5 different “SyncProfiles.”
- By default, the app syncs your Salesforce records and MailChimp records ONLY from the MailChimp list you choose. Within this MailChimp list you can further segment by groups.
- This requires a greater understanding of the differences between MailChimp Lists and MailChimp groups.
- Requires that you log into a different portal to manage your SyncApps.
Cost: $100 per month
- Workato calls their API Apps recipes and it is an entirely community based platform- meaning people create recipes for the apps they use then share it publicly with others.
- Ability to expand beyond a MailChimp to Salesforce recipe, for example QuickBooks, Shopify, Google Apps.
- Workato has a specific MailChimp to Salesforce recipe for the Nonprofit Success Pack 3.
- Easy to use. The UI is intuitive and friendly even for a novice user.
- Also offer 1 hour of FREE support when you sign up.
- The notion of copying other recipes takes getting used to.
- If your Salesforce instance has a lot of customization on Contacts and Campaigns, be prepared to modify recipes before deploying.
- Requires significant testing if modifications are made to recipes.
- The number options available to the user within the application can be intimidating at first. There is a lot there that you don’t need to see or use for a simple MailChimp to Salesforce integration.
- To manage Workato you’ll have to log into another portal in addition to Salesforce and MailChimp.
Cost: $20 a month
- Slightly less expensive than Workato.
- Works like Workato except instead of recipes they have “Zaps”.
- Easy to use drag and drop interface- the simple UI makes the product simple to use.
- Also like Workato, Zapier integrates tons of other applications with your Salesforce instance including Eventbrite, QuickBooks, Shopify, and more.
- Can sync your contacts and/or leads from Salesforce to MailChimp and vice versa (Bi-Directional).
- Runs in real time regardless of your plan.
- Don’t offer the free 1 hour setup support that Workato offers.
- To manage Zapier you’ll have to log into another portal in addition to Salesforce and MailChimp.
- There is a lot you can do and for some people this can be intimidating.
- Requires adequate time for testing to ensure your Zaps are working correctly.
Cost: Free for 6 syncs per month and up to 2,000 subscribers then $49 per month for unlimited syncs and up to 100,00 MailChimp Subscribers.
- Low cost alternative if you have a small MailChimp list and you are not needing to see frequently refreshed MailChimp Stats on your subscribers.
- Offers a free version.
- Easy to install as it only requires placing the VisualForce page on your contact page layout.
- Can be accessed directly from Salesforce without having to log into another third party application.
- Doesn’t write data into Salesforce, instead it is rendered through the VisualForce page referenced above.
- Is limiting if you want to do more actions with your MailChimp data outside of MailChimp like create campaigns in Salesforce and sync to MailChimp.
You may also be interested in:
- Choosing the Right Email Provider for Your Salesforce
- What is the best way to mass email with Salesforce.com
- Make Salesforce Work for You: Workflows and Email Automations